Thursday, February 24, 2011

Let me tell you a little story.....

My sweet little girl is now a Storyteller!

Alyssa was tested early last year for speech issues.  She had a "step" when speaking (almost like a studder, but not as bad) and a few issues with getting the words she wanted to say out.  She has been in speech therapy for a little over a year.  I have noticed a change in her speech and her teacher was even questioning why she was in speech this year. 

At the beginning of the year it was announced that her school would be participating in PSIA, which is the private school equivalent to UIL for public schools.  The 2nd grade class could participate in the Storytelling competition.  The objective of storytelling is to hear a story and be able to retell the story in your own words to a group of judges who have not heard the story.  A note was sent home to parents to sign up their kids if they were interested in trying out.  I debated back and forth on whether to sign her up or not.  I did not think she would do very well with it and didn't want to set her up for disappointment.  I honestly did not think I had sent in the paperwork.  A few months later Alyssa was telling me about her storytelling practice during recess.  I questioned her why she was going to it and she said because her name was on the list.  I must have signed her up and just didn't remember doing it.  Oh well, I thought, it would be good for her to practice--still not belieiving she would ever make the team.  Weeks went by and she kept telling me about her practice and how different kids were quitting.  I was proud that she was sticking with it and not quitting.  Well, needless to say, Alyssa made the team (somewhat by default since all but 3 kids quit!). 

This weekend she will be competing in Lubbock (a town 2 hours away) and for all of her hard work she is being rewarded by getting to go on Friday night and spend the night at a hotel with her friends.  I am so very proud of her.  Even though she may not bring home a blue ribbon, I think she is a winner.  Her speech has improved so much and she was never concerned that she could not or would not make the team.  She is an amazing little girl that I learn from all the time!  Good Job Alyssa!!!

No comments: